Table of Contents
If your neighbor’s tree roots are causing damage to your property, you may be wondering what your options are. While trees are an important part of our communities, they can also cause problems when their roots grow too close to your property.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the steps you can take if you’re dealing with this issue.
Types of Root Damage
There are several types of damage that tree roots can cause:
- Damage to foundations: Tree roots can grow under foundations and cause cracks or shifts in the structure. This can be a major problem, as it can compromise the stability and safety of your home.
- Damage to sidewalks and driveways: Tree roots can grow under sidewalks and driveways, causing them to become uneven or cracked. This can be a safety hazard and can also make it difficult to drive or walk in the affected area.
- Damage to pipes and underground utilities: Tree roots can grow into pipes and cause blockages or damage. This can lead to costly repairs and disrupt your water or sewage system.
Steps to Take for roots damaging property
If you’re dealing with tree roots causing damage to your property, here are some steps to consider:
- Document the damage: If you suspect your neighbor’s tree roots are causing damage to your property, it’s important to document it with photos or videos. This will be useful if you need to make an insurance claim or take legal action.
- Notify your neighbor: It’s a good idea to let your neighbor know about the issue and see if you can come to a resolution. You may be able to work out a solution that involves trimming the tree roots or removing the tree altogether.
- Contact your insurance company: If the damage is severe and you have homeowners insurance, your policy may cover the costs of repairs. It’s a good idea to contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the issue and inquire about coverage.
- Consult with an attorney: If you cannot resolve the issue with your neighbor or your insurance company, you may need to consider taking legal action. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options and assist you with the legal process. You might be entitled to compensation.
If you’re dealing with tree roots causing damage to your property and need legal guidance, we recommend reaching out to us.
We can connect you with an experienced attorney in your area who can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Don’t try to handle this situation on your own – let us help you get the justice you deserve.